Saturday, April 14, 2012



We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths
 
by Philip James Bailey
We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths;
In feelings, not in figures on a dial.
We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives
Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best.
And he whose heart beats quickest lives the longest:
Lives in one hour more than in years do some
Whose fat blood sleeps as it slips along their veins.
Life's but a means unto an end; that end,
Beginning, mean, and end to all things—God.
The dead have all the glory of the world.


This poem gives me a big picture and a lot to think about. It's basically saying that it's the journey that counts, not the destination. That life isn't so literal but more sentimental. As you piece it together you'll see what Bailey is demonstrating. And in my favorite line is where I found the most of my content; "And he whose heart beats quickest lives the longest" that line is referenced from the third line; "We should count time by heart-throbs". It's so beautiful to actually have the picture that this poem forms for me in my mind. It makes me think that the moments that make your heart beat the fastest are the moments that are the most special and makes "The dead have all the glory in the world" because the lived the best moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment